Marketplace Open Enrollment
Tuesday October 21st, 2014
Estimated time to read: 1 minute
Open enrollment in the Marketplace is a set time frame when individuals can enroll in a plan and receive a subsidy based upon their household income, if eligible. You can generally buy a Marketplace plan only during the annual open enrollment period.
Upcoming dates to know:
- November 15, 2014 - 2015 Open Enrollment starts
- December 31, 2014 - Coverage ends for 2014 Marketplace plans
- February 15, 2015 - 2015 Open Enrollment ends
Individuals may also buy a Marketplace plan outside of open enrollment if they qualify for a special enrollment due to a qualifying life event such as marriage, birth or adoption of a child, moving to a new state or losing other health coverage. Other complex issues might allow for special enrollment in the Marketplace.
Two new permitted election changes might allow for additional opportunities to enroll in the Marketplace. A cafeteria plan election (except a health FSA election) may be revoked in two new situations
1. Employee enrollment in the Exchange
- Must enroll during Exchange open enrollment period or a special enrollment period
- Must enroll in an Exchange plan immediately following the revocation
2. Reduction in hours of service
- Employee must change from full-time (FT) to part-time (PT) status and be reasonably expected to remain PT
- Must enroll in another plan no later than the first day of the second full month following revocation
Employers who are covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) were required to do a blanket mailing of the Marketplace Notice to all employees (eligible or not) by October 1, 2013. All new hires must be provided one within 14 days. There is no annual notice requirement.
Employers with non-calendar year plan years may permit election changes to their Cafeteria Plan to allow individuals to come off of the employer’s plan and enroll in the Marketplace during open enrollment.
What is your biggest open enrollment challenge?
This article has been read 808 times.